[Dovecot] Lock problem

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Nov 10 03:29:37 EET 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 10:01 -0800, Simon Gao wrote:

> stat64("/var/mail/user1", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0600, st_size=8603552, ...}) = 0

These stats are fine.

> Both imap connections try to access same /var/mail/user1 file. This caused
> very slow performance.

Well, it usually shouldn't.. Although it depends on IMAP client I guess.

> Why are there multiple active imap connections? How to stop it?

Some clients do that. For example with Thunderbird you can configure how
many connections it creates.

As for your other email..:

> We just have another user reporting problem. There is no lock on
> /var/spool/mail/<user> file.
..
> fcntl64(8, F_SETLKW64, {type=F_WRLCK, whence=SEEK_SET, start=0, len=0},
> 0xff9f4db4) = ? ERESTARTSYS (To be restarted)

The straces show that the file is locked. Maybe you've just disabled
dotlocks? Or anyway read locks don't create the dotlock file so that
could be it also.

So if some processes are trying to do fcntl locks, you could find out
what process actually has the file locked and what it's doing.

Anyway, the easiest solution would be to just get rid of mbox and switch
to maildir. No more locking troubles.