[Dovecot] Virtual mailboxes not always up to date?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Nov 10 09:30:38 EET 2009

On Nov 10, 2009, at 2:21 AM, Patrick Nagel wrote:

> So it seems that neither EXPUNGE nor re-SELECT seems to have any
> "refreshing"
> effect.

I'll see tomorrow if I can reproduce it.

> Nikita Koshikov told me to "Try to add :INDEX=MEMORY to location
> setting".
>
> After my tests above I tried that, and suddenly everything works as
> expected.
> It seems logical to have the index of a virtual folder in memory
> only, since it
> is generated dynamically anyway, and is outdated before it's even
> written to
> disk (at least without some configurable "virtual search result max
> age"
> parameter). So maybe the easiest solution is, to imply
> ':INDEX=MEMORY' when a
> namespace location is a virtual folder?

Well, that also makes the performance somewhat bad. And UIDVALIDITY
changes every time, so client's local caching won't work. And if
client uses multiple connections to the same mailbox, it might get
confused since each connection gets a different UIDVALIDITY.