[Dovecot] Index file (date timestamp) issue on OS X 10.6.2 Server

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Nov 14 00:04:03 EET 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 20:25 +0000, Darren Latter wrote:
> Hi Timo,
>
> When deleting the index files they get regenerated with the current time. All email in the inbox then is shown with correct time.
>
> -rw-------   2 XX    mail    9924 Nov 13 20:21 .nfs.20052ab0.544d
> -rw-------   2 XX    mail   67584 Nov 13 20:21 .nfs.20052ab3.544d
> drwx------   2 XX    mail   16384 Nov 13 20:20 cur
> -rw-------   1 XX    mail     244 Nov 13 20:20 dovecot-keywords
> -rw-------   1 XX    staff   5060 Nov 13 20:20 dovecot-uidlist
> -rw-------   1 XX   staff      8 Nov 13 20:20 dovecot-uidvalidity
> -rw-------   1 XX    mail       0 Jul  8  2037 dovecot-uidvalidity.4afdbfa4
> -rw-------   1 XX    staff   1688 Nov 13 20:21 dovecot.index
> -rw-------   2 XX    mail   67584 Nov 13 20:21 dovecot.index.cache
> -rw-------   2 XX    mail    9924 Nov 13 20:21 dovecot.index.log

The mail files are in new/ or cur/ directory. Those are the timestamps
that matter, not the ones above.

> New incoming email still has same issue - the email client will show either the correct time or the 2037 date.
> When checking the email headers - dates/times are correct.

Do you have idxview utility somewhere (probably in the same dir as e.g.
imap binary)? You could then see what "idxview dovecot.index" says.
Anyway, this sounds like a NFS-related bug. Dovecot gets saved message's
time by fstat()ing the created file. Sounds like the fstat() returns
mtime in future.. Probably because the hasn't actually been flushed to
disk because it hasn't been close()d or fsync()ed yet.

I could probably write a patch to Dovecot that fsync()s first, then
fstat()s to get the mtime. But since you're using Apple's Dovecot
version that probably wouldn't help much.