[Dovecot] file_dotlock_create(~/.dovecot.lda-dupes) failed: No such file or directory

Rene Bakkum rene.bakkum at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 16:57:42 EET 2009

Pascal Volk wrote:

> Mildir != ~
> Why are you storing the sieve files in the Maildir?
> Let your userdb return /home/vmail/%d/%n as home, and ~/.Maildir as
> mail. If the permissions on the directories are set correctly,
> everything should work fine.

Thanks I got it working now!
Too be honest... I have no idea why I stored them in the Maildir. I just
configured it like that.
Changed it to /home/vmail/%d/%n/ now. :)

For feature reference, the following change I made to get it working...
I configured my server that it gets the information from the database. I
have the following set in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:
mail_location = maildir:/home/vmail/%d/%n/.Maildir
  # SQL database <doc/wiki/AuthDatabase.SQL.txt>
  userdb sql {
    # Path for SQL configuration file
    args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
  }

In /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf I had it standing on:
user_query = \
  SELECT uid, gid \
  FROM users WHERE username = '%u'

I changed this to:
user_query = \
  SELECT home, uid, gid \
  FROM users WHERE username = '%u'

this made it working.
Basically looking back, I can't believe why I removed the check for
'home'. As it clearly was stated in the example as needed.

Should RTFM more often I guess!
- Rene