[Dovecot] 2.0.alpha3 dovecot/auth works multiplying

Alan Commike commike at qedlabs.com
Tue Nov 17 21:25:00 EET 2009

I setup a test machine with 2.0.alpha3 - Linux, Centos 5.4. I'm using
Postfix as my MTA with dovecot to do SASL authorization from
/etc/{passwd,shadow}. I'm getting 'dovecot/auth -w' processes hanging
around, over a few days I've reached into the 100s. As a test I set
auth_worker_max_count = 2, didn't make a difference.

Attaching with strace, looks like they're in their standard poll loop
waiting for input.

Any ideas? I haven't instrumented any of the code yet to see what's going
on. I expect somehow you're losing track that the auth worker is out there?

I have an old 1.x installation working with a similar setup.

Here's the config:

[root at pf ~]# dovecot -n
# 2.0.alpha3: /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.18-164.el5 i686 CentOS release 5.4 (Final)
auth_debug = yes
auth_debug_passwords = yes
auth_verbose = yes
auth_worker_max_count = 2