[Dovecot] Dovecot and SATA Backend - filesystems

John Lyons john at support.nsnoc.com
Wed Nov 18 12:55:38 EET 2009

> The "generally don't see any bugs/issues" is the part I'm worried about
> (generally isn't comforting).

I was covering my **** on that one. Sods law dictates as soon as I say
'never' we'll discover an issue.

> If you use a more traditional filesystem like ext2/ext3/ufs/etc then yes.
> But you can use a cluster filesystem to get around this, and run
> active-active.

I've spent a week looking at the likes of PVFS, GFS, Lustre and a whole
host of different systems, including pNFS (NFS 4.1)

At the risk of diverting the thread away from the SATA backend, is there
any recommendation for a fault tolerant file service.

I'm really looking for 3 or 4 boxes to store data/metadata to support 10
Apache and Dovecot servers.

The things I don't like are having a single metadata server be a single
point of failure.

Regards

John