[Dovecot] Thunderbird Search Folder failures

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Nov 18 18:24:27 EET 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-18 at 08:08 -0800, Michael Durket wrote:
> What appears to be happening is that searches looking for string matches in
> the message body don't work. I set up a test case with the affected user.
> We created a folder that had 6 messages: 5 containing the string in the
> message body and 1 that did not. Then we set up a search folder
> that looked for the string. Opening the Thunderbird search folder
> yielded no messages matching the search. A rawlog trace of the search
>  in dovecot showed that dovecot had indeed responded that no messages
> were found (when 5 should have been).
>
> This doesn't happen with UW-IMAP (version imap-2007e which I think is the
> last version with bug fixes ever issued). Is this perhaps a known bug in
> dovecot that was fixed many releases ago and I should upgrade?

Well, it is a bit old but I don't think there were bugs related to
SEARCH. You could of course try with a newer version, it's easy to try
with compiled source tree even without installing, like:

MAIL=mbox:/tmp/mail src/imap/imap

And put your test mailbox to /tmp/mail/inbox.

If the problem isn't Dovecot, it's probably something in your mails that
causes it not to match.