[Dovecot] [OT] preferred clients

Maarten Bezemer mcbdovecot at robuust.nl
Sun Nov 22 22:04:17 EET 2009

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009, Charles Marcus wrote:

> On 11/22/2009, Maarten Bezemer (mcbdovecot at robuust.nl) wrote:
>> But at least now that I moved the Outlook.pst and
>> Outlookuser at servername-000002.pst to a samba share, it is useable.
>> Still puzzled as to why they decided to store those in de
>> LocalSettings instead of in the normal user profile or a standard
>> network share...
>
> They store them there because Microsft recommends against storing .PST
> files on network shareas... always have. Things can break really badly.
>
> That said, I have heard some people claim they have been doing this for
> a long time and never gotten bit.

I've seen PST's breaking for other reasons as well, even when still in
LocalSettings. And I've never seen a PST get broken up to the point where
the scanpst.exe tool couldn't fix it. Plus, we can do regular backups of
all PSTs during the night, which only leaves 1 day's worth of appointments
getting lost. Email can be synced from the IMAP server. Still, I'd rather
not have the PST contain emails: that's what we use IMAP for.

And, with Windows2003 terminal server running as a virtual machine on top
of the Linux server that hosts the samba shares, chances of network shares
being unavailable to the windows server are quite slim ;-)

--
Maarten