[Dovecot] [OT] preferred clients

vuser1 at test123.ru vuser1 at test123.ru
Mon Nov 23 04:04:25 EET 2009

> On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, vuser1 at test123.ru wrote:
>
>> Outlook is best email client. Even 2003. The only missing thing is
>> inability to do imap-search request directly to imap server.
>
> I won't say Outlook is the worst email client I've ever seen, but we
> all know that 'best' and 'Outlook' can only be in one sentence if it
> is accompanied by 'alternative to'...
Alternatives were: Thunderbird, Evolution, TheBat. Should I try something else? I want to write HTML messages easy (use fonts, colors, numbered lists), embed screenshot images in emails by simple Print screen - copy buttons, integrate email meeting requests with calendar.

> If you are on Windows, have MSOffice, don't need to administer lots
> of computers, and email in only one US-ASCII or ISO-LATIN1 supported
> language, then you might want to consider using Outlook. I've seen
> too many of my clients ordering me to install Outlook and then
> running in all kinds of trouble. Even as far as some changing to
> Squirrelmail because that at least enabled them to communicate with
> their colleagues in Russia etc. So Outlook is an answer only if
> you're prepared to face the consequences.
Squirrel mail, are you serious? Did you try horde/IMP? Outlook2003 indeed had problems with KOI-8/Win1251, but it was long-long time ago. I communicate in Russian a lot - no problems in last 3 years, not even one.