[Dovecot] Vacation message with Sieve

Thomas Harold thomas-lists at nybeta.com
Mon Nov 23 15:09:55 EET 2009

On 11/23/2009 7:19 AM, Rene Bakkum wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to get my vacation messages to work correctly. In general it
> works like how I want, and replies when a message is arived to for
> example info at domain.com, but I have some problems to get my vacation
> message to work on catch-all boxes. Is there an option to for example
> auto-reply on every mail that is sendto @domain.com?

As stated by Pascal, catch-all addresses are evil.  Especially when the
spammers do a dictionary attack run against your domain (you'll get
messages for aa at example.com, ab at example.com, ac at example.com...).

In our setup, we specify multiple addresses as:

:addresses ["name1 at example.com", "name2 at example.com", "name3 at example.com"]

(For the few people that we allow inbound mail via multiple aliases.)

I understand the desire to have a catch-all address, I used to do it
myself a few years ago.  But the aggravation eventually caused me to
reevaluate whether it was worth all of the dictionary attack spam.  So I
setup aliases in postfix for all of the addresses that I was truly
interested in monitoring and simply "5xx unknown user" the rest of them.