[Dovecot] shared mailboxes using namespaces in 1.2

Alexander 'Leo' Bergolth leo at strike.wu.ac.at
Mon Nov 23 18:03:38 EET 2009

Hi!

I've been using shared mailbox trees using maildir, unix permissions and
separate namespaces per shared tree since dovecot 1.0.

However now that I've upgraded to 1.2.8, I cannot create subfolders
anymore. The server responds with "NO Invalid mailbox name:
test/testsub". The hierarchy separator for the namespaces is / because I
am mixing maildir and mbox namespaces and list=yes.

The details:
I am using a post-login script (attached) that detects all subfolders of
/var/spool/mail/Shared for which the current user has at least read
access. For every subfolder, it creates a separate namespace with the
prefix Shared/<mailboxname>. The shared mailbox trees are in maildir format.

If one of those namespace-prefixes is e.g. "Shared/sharedmailbox/", I am
able to create "Shared/sharedmailbox/test" but trying to create
"Shared/sharedmailbox/test/testsub" will fail with the above error. If I
set the herarchy separator to '.' even creating
"Shared/sharedmailbox/test" will fail.

Any hints?

Thanks,
--leo