[Dovecot] new to dovecot

Lars Nielsen lars at mit-web.dk
Tue Nov 24 23:25:22 EET 2009

Hi there,

I have installed debian with exim4 postgresql 8.3 and dovecot 1.0.15.
I have the mail delivery part done, so when i send mail it gets
delivered in ~/MailDir/
I have tried to authenticate via passwd and postgresql but with no luck.
I have read a lot on google but i cannot get dovecot to give me the
mails via pop3. Is there a tutorial somewhere i have missed?

so far i have messed up my config like this :
# 1.0.15: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
base_dir: /var/run/dovecot/
log_path: /var/log/dovecot/errors.log
log_timestamp: %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
protocols: pop3 pop3s
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3-login
mail_privileged_group: mail
mail_location: maildir:~/Maildir
mail_debug: yes
mail_executable: /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3
mail_plugin_dir: /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/pop3
pop3_uidl_format: %08Xu%08Xv
auth default:
  verbose: yes
  passdb: