[Dovecot] restrictions on folder length?

Brett Dikeman brett.dikeman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 20:01:44 EET 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 12:46 PM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> mbox or maildir? What OS? What filesystem?

Ah!  Sorry- maildir, Debian Stable (Lenny) 64bit, XFS.

>> Their old mail server handled this fine, but dovecot is choking on it;
>> imapsync reports "invalid mailbox name", and he gets the same error
>> clicking on the mailboxes in Thunderbird (they seem to have been
>> created, despite the error messages.)
>
> Try talking IMAP protocol directly:
>
> 1 login user pass
> 2 create mailbox/name

Well, as I said, at least some of the mailboxes were created...but
they're not accessible.

> Are you sure it's because of the mailbox name length?

Nope, that's why I asked :)

> The hardcoded mailbox length is 512 characters. With Maildir++ it's
> typically 255 characters because of OS/filesystem limits.

OK, we're well below that even taking into account the full path and
filename.  I'll start hunting elsewhere.

Thanks for the quick reply, Timo.

Brett