[Dovecot] How many concurrent IMAP sessions?

Jose Celestino japc at co.sapo.pt
Thu Oct 1 00:55:08 EEST 2009

On Qua, 2009-09-30 at 23:23 +0200, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
> * Jose Celestino <japc at co.sapo.pt>:
> > On Qua, 2009-09-30 at 17:08 +0200, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
> > > Has anybody ever bothered to measure how many concurrent IMAP sessions dovecot
> > > can handle?
> > >
> > > I know it depends on hardware, filesystem, mailbox type etc., but what exactly
> > > controls the number and what have people on the list measured?
> > >

> > We have about 3600 per server.
>
> Any headroom left or is this the maximum you can get?

Plenty of headroom still. 8 CPUs, 4GB of ram servers. There are some
occasional spikes of load of 2 or 3 because of i/o to the NFS but
nothing to worry about. I guess that we could easily take them to 5k
concurrent IMAP sessions. But, and this is worth mentioning, this are
mostly sessions coming from imapproxy so many of them are being kept by
the proxy with no real activity.

-- Jose Celestino SAPO.pt::Systems http://www.sapo.pt
Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from smart
people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of smart
terminals.