[Dovecot] OT: IMAP folder aliases

Patrick Ben Koetter p at state-of-mind.de
Thu Oct 1 17:51:13 EEST 2009

Timo,

* Rob Middleton <robm-dovecot at centenary.org.au>:
> On 25/09/2009 11:14 PM, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
>> It seems that there is no standard for folder names that deal with typical
>> message classes such as drafts, outbox, sent, spam etc. At least there's no
>> common sense on a naming convention that tells how client should handle this.
>>
> XLIST may deal with this in the future.

XLIST seems to be pretty proprietary. Have you had a look at LIST-EXTENDED
instead? It's a standard and one would 'simply' need to register the required
extensions to get a mapping:

  "IMAP4 LIST Command Extensions"
  <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5258.txt>

It seems to be capable to map the relations we are dicussion here. Something
along these lines:

S: * LIST (\Subscribed \NoInferiors) "/" "inbox"
S: * LIST (\Subscribed \drafts \NoInferiors) "/" "Drafts"
S: * LIST (\Subscribed \trash \NoInferiors) "/" "Trash"
S: * LIST (\Subscribed \sent \NoInferiors) "/" "Sent-Mail"
S: * LIST (\Subscribed \outbox \NoInferiors) "/" "Out"
S: * LIST (\Subscribed \templates \NoInferiors) "/" "Templates"

p at rick