[Dovecot] dovecot 1.0.15 upgrading to dovecot 1.1.x or 1.2.x, and POP3 UIDL issue

Ariel Biener ariel at aristo.tau.ac.il
Mon Oct 5 03:33:02 EEST 2009

Ariel Biener wrote:

> Hi,

I think I found the problem eventually:

In the dovecot.conf example file, the section explaining
the various UIDL formats is as follows:

   # If you want UIDL compatibility with other POP3 servers, use:
   #  UW's ipop3d         : %08Xv%08Xu
   #  Courier             : %f or %v-%u (both might be used simultaneosly)
   #  Cyrus (<= 2.1.3)    : %u
   #  Cyrus (>= 2.1.4)    : %v.%u
   #  Dovecot v0.99.x     : %v.%u
   #  tpop3d              : %Mf
   #
   # Note that Outlook 2003 seems to have problems with %v.%u format
which was
   # Dovecot's default, so if you're building a new server it would be a
good
   # idea to change this. %08Xu%08Xv should be pretty fail-safe.
   #
   #pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv

Notice that the UW format at the top is: %08Xv%08Xu , while at the
bottom it is %08Xu%08Xv. So, in 1.0.15 we had it as the top would have
it, while at the 1.1.x/1.2.x instances we just uncommented the bottom.

I must have looked at these files 1000 times.

--Ariel