[Dovecot] status & use-case of fts_solr?

Patrick Nagel patrick.nagel at star-group.net
Sat Oct 10 05:21:27 EEST 2009

Hi,

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 21:41:36 -0700, PGNet Dev wrote:
> hi,
>
> On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 7:56 PM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
>> It's just not possible, because it doesn't support substring searches.
>> But
>> then again, perhaps no one cares. It's not like gmail's search is IMAP
>> compliant either.
>>
>>> if the goal is fast, indexed FTS of dovecot IMAP stores from within a
>>> MUA, is fts_solr even helpful? or is it targeted for web interfaces to
>>> search ... ?
>>
>> You can add the break-imap-search option and it'll be helpful with
those
>> MUAs that use IMAP SEARCH command (Thunderbird I think, but not Apple
>> Mail
>> or Outlook).
>
> Ok, clear.  So, from a MUA perspective ... *IS* fts_solr
> faster/better/cheaper/whatever than fts_squat?
>
> It _seems_ that squat is fast, _does_ substring searches, and _is_
> under your control in dovecot. Life seems simpler, but just as
> functional, with "just squat".
>
> I'm clearly missing or misunderstanding the "solr advantage" ...

Cross-referencing
http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2009-September/042904.html

So when you have a huge amount of folders (like we do... there are users
with >10000 folders), Solr could have a big advantage through the single

Patrick.

--
STAR Software (Shanghai) Co., Ltd.              http://www.star-group.net/
Phone:    +86 (21) 3462 7688 x 826               Fax:   +86 (21) 3462 7779

PGP key:  E883A005 https://stshacom1.star-china.net/keys/patrick_nagel.asc
Fingerprint:             E09A D65E 855F B334 E5C3 5386 EF23 20FC E883 A005