[Dovecot] soft quota lda question

Pascal Volk user+dovecot at localhost.localdomain.org
Sun Oct 11 02:52:43 EEST 2009

On 10/08/2009 02:49 PM toni at dingsbums.org wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i'm using dovecot deliver (lda) and i want to show quota to the users
> via imap/pop3, but i don't want to enforce it (i.e. don't
> reject/bounce mails when quota is exceeded).
>
> protocol imap {
>    mail_plugins = quota imap_quota
> }
> protocol pop3 {
>    mail_plugins = quota
> }
> # In case you're using deliver:
> protocol lda {
>    #mail_plugins = quota
> }
>
> does it work if i just comment out the "mail_plugin = quota" in the
> protocol lda section and leave the imap/pop3 configuration or is there
> another better way to do this?

When you only disable the quota plugin in the lda section, then quota
values will be updated on imap/pop3 login. If a user reaches her/his
quota limit, he/she will no longer be able to move messages from one
folder to an other one.

If you would have provided the necessary information, I probably could
provide an appropriate solution. But my crystal ball told me that you
are using SQL based quotas. so replace:

	quota = dict:user::proxy::quotadict
by:
	quota = dict:user::noenforcing:proxy::quotadict

In order to prevent mail bounces (while enforcing the quota rules) you
can set quota_full_tempfail to yes in protocol lda {…} section.

Regards,
Pascal
The trapper recommends today: decade.0928401 at localdomain.org