[Dovecot] backup using rsync

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Tue Oct 13 17:15:02 EEST 2009

tomas at tuxteam.de schrieb:
> On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 03:41:40PM +0200, Robert Schetterer wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> i ll do backups with rsync on maildirs with courier
>> ( which has also : in filenames )
>
> Stupid question: with CIFS as target filesystem?

no never, why should i do this, nfs , ssh etc should be faster and more
secure etc

> Because there are some chars which are AFAIK taboo on Windows file
> systems (colon being one, AFAIR -- luckily my memory on that is hazy :)

jo as i said cifs may not like some stuff, but i see no reason what
force using cifs, after all you can rsync the maildir dir to another dir
on the source server,
tar it afterwards and copy it over cifs, as workaround
this should work ever, and easy scriptable

--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer

Germany/Munich/Bavaria