[Dovecot] backup using rsync

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Wed Oct 14 13:10:15 EEST 2009

tomas at tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 04:15:02PM +0200, Robert Schetterer wrote:
>
>> tomas at tuxteam.de schrieb:
>>
>>> On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 03:41:40PM +0200, Robert Schetterer wrote:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>>
>>> Stupid question: with CIFS as target filesystem?
>>>
>> no never, why should i do this, nfs , ssh etc should be faster and more
>> secure etc
>>

> Nor would I, for that. But I can afford the luxury to see CIFS once a
> couple of years :)

My experience is that cifs is *faster* than nfs... Also, I personally
find it simpler to administrate than NFS.  Probably this is due to
ignorance of how to setup NFS to do user based ID mappings, etc, but
there you go...

(Much as it pains me to like an MS derived product, I have to stick up
for it here... I think you will find a bunch of benchmarks in favour of
either solution if you search the net, but the point being that at least
some benchmarks also put cifs ahead of nfs in terms of performance...)

The end result is still in favour or rsync+ssh though...  Do have a look
at snapback2 for a fairly simple backup solution which works very nicely
for me

Ed W