[Dovecot] Questions regarding dbox migration

Wed Oct 14 19:18:28 EEST 2009

On 10/14/2009, Timo Sirainen (tss at iki.fi) wrote:
> I'm trying to get v2.0.0 out pretty quickly though. v2.0.beta1 should
> hopefully be out in less than a month.

Great news on how fast 2.0 is coming along! I finally got the go ahead
to convert my biggest client, but he wants to hold off (political
reasons) for a few months, so I think I'll just plan on starting to test
2.0 soon, and making that the target for his installation.

> The main problem with it is actually how to make it enough backwards
> compatible that everyone won't start hating me.

I honestly don't see that ever happening Timo - and please, don't go
down the same road Microsoft did with Windows.

Not that you need any help, but I would suggest to just focus on making
the conversion tools (mbox/maildir > (m)dbox, old config > new config,
etc) rock solid, and document any incompatibilities really well.

--

Best regards,

Charles