[Dovecot] Two passwords: One for Dovecot IMAP and One for Dovecot SASL? Is it possible?

Art Gray - Razorpoint art.gray at razorpoint.com
Wed Oct 14 22:18:12 EEST 2009

Greetings,

Can Dovecot can handle separate authentication for receiving mail
(IMAPS) and sending mail (SMTPS)?  In the past, we used Dovecot IMAP
for the receiving part and Cyrus SASL for the sending part.  This
allowed us to use two passwords with mail.  Cyrus has grown too old
and isn't useful anymore.  Can Dovecot give us this functionality:
two passwords, one for IMAP authentication and one for SASL
authentication?

If so, could you point me in the right direction to get this working?

Thanks in advance,