[Dovecot] Questions regarding dbox migration

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Oct 14 22:50:20 EEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-14 at 21:14 +0200, Mikkel wrote:
> >> It has been my wish to move to dbox for a long time hoping to reduce
> >> the number of writes which is really killing us.
> >
> > BTW. Have you tried maildir_very_dirty_syncs=yes setting? That should
> > reduce disk i/o, and I'm really interested in hearing how much.
> >

> I don't think I've tried that one. Earlier on I experimented with
> fsync_disable=yes (which made a huge difference by the way) but that was
> before I started using mail_nfs_storage=yes and mail_nfs_index=yes
>
> I would like to try using maildir_very_dirty_syncs=yes but is it
> advisable in combination with NFS?

It should be fine with NFS if indexes are also on NFS. Although I just
fixed a bug related to it:
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.2/rev/7956cc1086e1

Indexes on NFS are problematic now though if multiple servers can access
the mailbox at the same time. mail_nfs_index=yes is supposed to help
with that, but it's not perfect either. Long term solution would be for
Dovecots in different machines to talk to each others directly instead
of through NFS.