[Dovecot] Questions regarding dbox migration

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Oct 15 00:18:39 EEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-14 at 23:04 +0200, Mikkel wrote:
> So basically you prefer mdbox but are maintaining dbox because of its
> almost lockless design which is better for NFS users?
>
> Do you consider it to be viable having two different dbox formats or are
> you planning to keep only one of them in a long term perspective?

I'm planning on keeping both of them. And it's not necessarily only
because of NFS users. Multi-dbox was done mainly because filesystems
suck (mailbox gets fragmented all around the disk). Maybe if filesystems
in future suck less, single-dbox will be better. Or perhaps SSDs make
the fragmentation problem mostly irrelevant.

And note that there are no real world statistics on how much faster
multi-dbox is compared to single-dbox (or maildir). Maybe the difference
isn't all that big after all. Or maybe it's a lot bigger than I thought.
I've no idea.