[Dovecot] Questions regarding dbox migration

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Oct 15 00:56:44 EEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-14 at 23:52 +0200, Mikkel wrote:
> Timo Sirainen wrote:
> >> Well, it does complain once in a while but it has never resulted in data
> >> being lost in any way. But I guess your point is that this might happen
> >> with dbox under the same circumstances.
> >> A very good reason to wait for 2.0 I guess...
> >
> > Well, the NFS caching issues aren't going away in v2.0 yet. v2.1 or so
> > perhaps..
> >

> But it should be able to heal itself using the backup files in version
> 2.0, right?

That's the theory anyway. :)

> How often are they created anyway?

Whenever dovecot.index file would normally get recreated, the old one is
first link()ed to dovecot.index.backup. So that depends on various
things. You could compare timestamp differences between dovecot.index
and dovecot.index.log in your current system. Perhaps I should add some
extra code that guarantees that .backup gets created at least once .. a
day? week? .. (assuming there have been changes)