[Dovecot] Two passwords: One for Dovecot IMAP and One for Dovecot SASL? Is it possible?

Kirill Miazine km at krot.org
Thu Oct 15 16:52:08 EEST 2009

* Art Gray - Razorpoint [2009-10-14 15:18]:
>Greetings,
>
>Can Dovecot can handle separate authentication for receiving mail
>(IMAPS) and sending mail (SMTPS)?  In the past, we used Dovecot IMAP
>for the receiving part and Cyrus SASL for the sending part.  This
>allowed us to use two passwords with mail.  Cyrus has grown too old
>and isn't useful anymore.  Can Dovecot give us this functionality:
>two passwords, one for IMAP authentication and one for SASL
>authentication?
>
>If so, could you point me in the right direction to get this working?

What kind of server software do you use to send out messages? Do you
want to use dovecot as the authentication server with that sending
server? Do you want to allow your users to use both passwords for IMAP
and SMTP or the passwords shall be tied to the particular service?

Please take a look at following pages

     http://wiki.dovecot.org/Authentication/MultipleDatabases
     http://wiki.dovecot.org/AuthDatabase/SQL
     http://wiki.dovecot.org/Variables

Dovecot can use multiple sources for authentication. In your case you
could just have one database for IMAP and one for SMTP. You will see
that there is a variable named %s. It will expand itself to the service
(imap, pop3, smtp).

Good luck.

--
     -- Kirill Miazine <km at krot.org>