[Dovecot] Deliver - can't connect to .../auth-master

iain at brightbooks.co.uk iain at brightbooks.co.uk
Thu Oct 15 17:42:51 EEST 2009

Dovecot version 1.1.11
Hi all,

I'm having real trouble getting Getmail, which is configured to pick up
mail from my ISPs mailhost, to put the mail in our local Maildirs, through
Deliver. We're using virtual users so, if I am understanding correctly,
Deliver needs to fetch this information from /var/run/dovecot/auth-master.
The trouble is that Deliver doesn't seem to have the correct privileges to
do so. Whenever Getmail tries to pass the mail to Deliver, the line:

Oct 15 15:21:04 Domain deliver(user at domain.com): Can't connect to auth
server at /var/run/dovecot/auth-master: No such file or directory

appears in the Mail.err log.

So far I've tried:
# - Changing the privileges of the whole /var/run/dovecot/ folder, and its
sub folders. I understand that this is only a workaround, as Dovecot
changes the privileges back on restart, however it doesn't seem to work
anyway. It changes the log result from 'No such file or directory' to
'Permission denied' (and sometimes 'Connection refused').

# - I tried setting the location of auth-master to /home/manager/dovecot
in the dovecot-postfix.conf config files (and the dovecot.conf config,
just in case), so I could control access to it, and its permissions, more
closely. Again, no luck. The log file still shows that it is trying to
access it through /var/run/dovecot ~ not sure why (I even went to the
lengths of doing a search for /var/run/dovecot in the config files, to
make sure I hadn't missed a rogue mention; nothing). Interestingly the
file auth-master is created in the correct folder I've configured, but the
log results still stay the same.

Thanks in advance for any help getting this up and running.