[Dovecot] simple steps with sieve

Gavin Hamill gdh at acentral.co.uk
Mon Oct 19 18:03:09 EEST 2009

Today is my first day with sieve, so be gentle :) I'm trying to set up a
pretty webmail interface to our Dovecot 1.2.4 server using roundcube.
The managesieve config + roundcube 'managesieve' plugin work fine, and
I'm able to use roundcube's UI to generate .dovecot.sieve files.

We use winbind + LDAP lookups to do some exotic mail rewriting...
ultimately user.name at domain.com gets rewritten to 'ar-cloh at localhost',
and in /home/AD/ar-cloh/.dovecot.sieve there is only this:

require ["vacation"];
# rule:[gdh_test]
if anyof (header :contains "Subject" "test")
{
        vacation "test away";
}

When I send an email to the user, I see this in the mail.log

Oct 19 15:39:43 ar-smtp-1 dovecot: deliver(ar-cloh): sieve:
msgid=<1255963176.14420.31.camel at gdh-work>: discarding vacation response
for message implicitly delivered to <ar-cloh at ar-smtp-1>

I don't understand; sending a vacation for implicitly-delivered messages
sounds exactly like what I want - is there any way to say 'do this
anyway' ?

gdh