[Dovecot] HA Dovecot Config?

dovecot at corwyn.net dovecot at corwyn.net
Tue Oct 20 18:29:24 EEST 2009

Hi!

I'm currently running Dovecot 1.1.8 on a HP server using CentOS 5.2
as my IMAP server, receiving mail from postfix, and also using
squirrelmail as the frontend.

As I look at upgrading the mail server, I'd like to change to a
higher availability configuration (where the server can fail and I
don't have to reconfig my imap users).

For the SMTP that's easy, because I can use multiple MX records, and
I can redirect a port forward from one server to another. But IMAP
doesn't have the same functionality, because it's the storage that matters.

What's the "best" way to do that?  Clustered servers using a SAN?
NAS? some sort of appliance in front?  Suggestions?

Thanks!

Rick

Rick Steeves
http://www.sinister.net

In reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within
a man than a secure future -  Alexander Supertramp