[Dovecot] [sendmail] deliver+sieve: Destination address (-a) parsing changes

Andrzej Adam Filip anfi at onet.eu
Wed Oct 21 21:02:15 EEST 2009

"Frank Behrens" <frank at ilse.behrens.de> wrote:
> Andrzej Adam Filip <anfi at onet.eu> wrote on 21 Oct 2009 9:21:
>> It is possible to "significantly" twist sendmail.cf use $h to select
>> dovecot's mailbox and $u to pass user+detail at domain (one *or many*).
>> [ BTW the way I think about  will make sendmail support "aliases with
>> domains" instead  of current "aliases after domain stripping"]
>>
>> It is not a big deal if:
>> * all dovecot's mailboxes are owned by single non root OS account
>> * sendmail is supposed to start dovecot-deliver with root privileges
>>
>> P.S.
>> I have written a few sendmail.cf recipients intended to support more
>> than "one and the only" local mailer.
>
> Fine, it sounds promising. So I will see, what I can do with a
> modified rule set. May be it's a good idea to have a special dovecot
> local mailer with matching envelope rewriting rules.

[ I will continue sendmail related discussion in news:comp.mail.sendmail ]

Dovecot's design issues to consider are as follows:
a) making dovecot support hash/btree/dbm maps for passwd/userdb
   [AFAIR Timo stated it is too complicated to be "cost effective" from
   his perspective]
b) making dovecot support sendmail's "socket map" protocol for checking
   mailbox existence
   The simple protocol is described in semdmail's doc/op/op.me file
   http://www.sendmail.org/doc/sendmail-current/doc/op/op.pdf
c) making dovecot support LMTP protocol via unix socket

[pl>en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi at onet.eu
Prototype designs always work.
  -- Don Vonada