[Dovecot] meaning of parameter imap_idle_notify_interval??

Ingo Thierack i.thierack at iwt-promotion.com
Wed Oct 21 23:01:49 EEST 2009

Here are the requestet information.
It was compiled with inotify which is the default on my system.

First I thought, it was the purpose, that the mailbox dirs was
on an NFS. Then copied to the local disc. But the same.

[root at mail ~]# /opt/dovecot/sbin/dovecot --build-options
Build options: ioloop=epoll notify=inotify ipv6 openssl
Mail storages: cydir dbox maildir mbox raw shared
SQL drivers: postgresql
Passdb: checkpassword pam passwd passwd-file shadow sql
Userdb: nss passwd passwd-file prefetch sql static

[root at mail ~]# /opt/dovecot/sbin/dovecot -n
# 1.2.6: /opt/dovecot/etc/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.18-128.7.1.el5 i686 CentOS release 5.3 (Final) ext3
base_dir: /var/run/dovecot/
listen: *:143
ssl_listen: *:993
ssl_cert_file: /opt/dovecot/etc/ssl/certs/mail.ghostdive.org.crt
ssl_key_file: /opt/dovecot/etc/ssl/private/mail.ghostdive.org.key
disable_plaintext_auth: no
verbose_ssl: yes
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /opt/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_greeting: ready.
login_processes_count: 10
mail_max_userip_connections: 50
mail_location: maildir:/mnt/mail/%u/Maildir:INDEX=/var/spool/indexes/%u
mailbox_idle_check_interval: 2
dbox_rotate_size: 4096
dbox_rotate_days: 30
mail_executable: /opt/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/rawlog -b
/opt/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/imap
imap_idle_notify_interval: 30
lda:
  postmaster_address: postmaster at ghostdive.org
  hostname: mail.ghostdive.org
  mail_plugins: sieve
  mail_plugin_dir: /opt/dovecot/lib/dovecot/lda
  sendmail_path: /opt/postfix26/sbin/sendmail
auth default:
  mechanisms: plain cram-md5 digest-md5
  passdb:
    driver: sql