[Dovecot] Multiple identities

Koenraad Lelong dovecot at ace-electronics.be
Mon Oct 26 15:58:57 EET 2009

Hi,
I recently moved from courier-imap to dovecot, to be able to work with
managesieve. I use version 1.2.5, on suse 10.3. I used the script to
migrate the courier maildir to dovecot format.
It seems to work fine except for one problem : I use a number of
aliasses and with Thunderbird I can select which alias (e-mail-address)
to use as my identity when sending a mail.
I sniffed with wireshark, and with my standard identity, I see the
message appended to "Sent", like I expect. If I use an alias, I see a
folder being created : "INBOX.Sent", and then the message is appended there.
Why the difference ?
I'm trying to debug this but dovecot does not help much. I tried rawlog
but there is no output (that I see) from it, no log-files in my maildir.

Any hints how to proceed ?

Output op dovecot -n :
# 1.2.5: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.22.19-0.4-default x86_64 openSUSE 10.3 (X86-64)
base_dir: /var/run/dovecot/
log_path: /var/log/dovecot
log_timestamp: %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
listen: *:143
ssl_listen: *:993
ssl_ca_file: /etc/postfix/certificate/cacert.org.pem
ssl_cert_file: /etc/postfix/certificate/mailbox.pem
ssl_key_file: /etc/postfix/certificate/mailboxkey.pem
disable_plaintext_auth: no
verbose_ssl: yes
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot//login
login_executable: /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
first_valid_uid: 499
last_valid_uid: 499
mail_location: maildir:/var/vmail/%d/%u
mail_debug: yes
mail_executable: /usr/lib/dovecot/rawlog /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
lda:
   postmaster_address: postmaster at mydomain.com
   sendmail_path: /usr/lib/sendmail
   auth_socket_path: /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
   mail_plugins: cmusieve
auth default:
   mechanisms: plain login
   user: nobody