[Dovecot] Multiple identities

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Mon Oct 26 20:30:51 EET 2009

Koenraad Lelong wrote:
> Hi,
> I recently moved from courier-imap to dovecot, to be able to work with
> managesieve. I use version 1.2.5, on suse 10.3. I used the script to
> migrate the courier maildir to dovecot format.
> It seems to work fine except for one problem : I use a number of
> aliasses and with Thunderbird I can select which alias
> (e-mail-address) to use as my identity when sending a mail.
> I sniffed with wireshark, and with my standard identity, I see the
> message appended to "Sent", like I expect. If I use an alias, I see a
> folder being created : "INBOX.Sent", and then the message is appended
> there.
> Why the difference ?
> I'm trying to debug this but dovecot does not help much. I tried
> rawlog but there is no output (that I see) from it, no log-files in my
> maildir.

The act of copying outgoing mail to a "Sent" folder is not an automatic
one - certainly not from the server's point of view.  Typically, this is
implemented by the mail client - in this case, Thunderbird.  If you have
not gone well out of your way to configure some kind of server-side
script - it's going to be client-driven.

Within Thunderbird, under "Manage Identities", "Copies & Folders", you
can specify the "Sent" folder to use.  If using the default "Sent"
folder results in a "INBOX.Sent", override the setting here and specify
your correct folder.

--
Daniel