[Dovecot] Error: userdb lookup

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Oct 28 00:53:43 EET 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-23 at 16:58 +0200, kfx wrote:
> But then the userdb lookup fail and it tells me this in the log:
> deliver(user at mydomain): Error: userdb lookup:
> connect(/usr/local/var/run/dovecot/auth-master) failed: No such file or
> directory

I suppose you added -d parameter to deliver also.

> This is strange because:
> a. the socket is at /var/run/dovecot/auth-master

Change either that from auth { socket { .. } } path or change
auth_socket_path setting.

> b. it is working flawlessly with the original user_attrs value

Changing user_attrs can't cause this error. Adding -d parameter to
deliver does.

> My postfix's master.cf with the deliver relevant line:
> dovecot   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
>   flags=DRhu user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver -f
> ${sender} -d ${recipient}
>
> My postfix's main.cf with the deliver relevant line:
> mailbox_command = /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver

If you're using dovecot transport, you should probably remove the
mailbox_command since it only causes confusion.

Also one more possibility to fix this instead of using deliver -d
parameter is to set:

plugin {
  home = /var/vmail/%u/home
}