[Dovecot] mailbox count folders issues

Nikita Koshikov koshikov at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 10:39:52 EET 2009

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 17:50:22 -0400
Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 09:48 +0200, Nikita Koshikov wrote:
> > I have one user, which have a lot of folders (not it is 414 without INBOX). When he tries to create one more folder with random name - the folder successfully created, but LIST command invokes out of memory to imap process.
> >
> > From the logs:
> > Oct 26 15:26:38 IMAP(gozhda.a at domain.com): Panic: data stack: Out of memory when allocating 268435472 bytes
> > Oct 26 15:26:38 IMAP(gozhda.a at domain.com): Error: *** glibc detected *** imap: double free or corruption (!prev): 0x0812ba00 ***
>
> This is bad. Can you reproduce it easily? Could you cause this crash
> under valgrind? For example:
>
> protocol imap {
>   mail_executable = /usr/local/bin/imap.sh
> }
>
> and /usr/local/bin/imap.sh:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> if [ $USER = "gozhda.a at domain.com" ]; then
>   exec /usr/bin/valgrind /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
> else
>   exec /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
> fi
>
> Valgrind will hopefully then log to Dovecot's log what exactly is the
> problem.

In attachement full valgrind output for user's session.
Steps I perform:
1)Login with admin master password to user's mailbox(from webmail)
2)create new directory
3)try to get directories list

> It's anyway related to one of your virtual maiboxes. I suppose you have
> a virtual mailbox that includes messages from all real mailboxes?

Yes, I have two virtual mailboxes:
all - contains all messages
favorites - contains flagged letters

But this user didn't subscribe to any of them.