[Dovecot] Maildir quota reporting

David Kmoch David.Kmoch at tul.cz
Thu Sep 3 11:57:46 EEST 2009

I'm little confused with the way dovecot (1.2.4) is reporting quota.

with this config

protocols: imaps
ssl: required
ssl_ca_file: /root/cert/CA_Bundle_Trans.crt
ssl_cert_file: /root/cert/mails.crt
ssl_key_file: /root/cert/mails-key.pem.rsa
disable_plaintext_auth: yes
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
mail_location: maildir:%h/Maildir
mail_debug: yes
mail_plugins: quota imap_quota
lda:
  postmaster_address: postmaster at example.com
  mail_plugins: quota cmusieve
  mail_plugin_dir: /usr/lib/dovecot/lda
auth default:
  mechanisms: plain login
  passdb:
    driver: pam
  userdb:
    driver: passwd
plugin:
  quota: maildir:User quota
  quota_rule: ?:storage=20G
  sieve: ~/.dovecot.sieve

everything works fine. TB says, there 20G quota. Command

  echo "1 GETQUOTAROOT INBOX" | USER=foo dovecot --exec-mail imap

reports

  * QUOTAROOT "INBOX" "User quota"
  * QUOTA "User quota" (STORAGE 0 20971520)
  1 OK Getquotaroot completed.

Now I change the first line in foo's maildirsize file to "0S" to allow
unlimited quota. Then I boost it's size to force recalculation (just to
be sure)

dd if=/dev/zero bs=1k count=6 >> ~foo/Maildir/maildirsize

- From now, TB still reports 20GB quota for user foo, the above "echo"
command still reports 20971520, but(!), quota is actually unlimited for
user foo.

OK, now I stop dovecot, delete maildirsize, change line in dovecot.conf

  quota_rule = ?:storage=0

and start dovecot again. The same result - TB still reports 20GB quota
for user foo, the above "echo" command still reports 20971520, but(!),
quota is actually unlimited for anyone. When I set some limit in
~foo/Maildir/maildirsize now, same values 20971520) are reported,
although the limit works!

Looks like LDA (deliver) works fine, but imap_quota plugin is doing
something weird.

Finally, the question ;-) Where does that value (20971520) come from? Is
it a feature or a bug?

- --

David Kmoch