[Dovecot] fixing deleted-to-trash-plugin

Lex Brugman lex.brugman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 21:42:20 EEST 2009

Hi,

I'm currently trying to make the deleted-to-trash-plugin work with dovecot
v1.2.4, without this plugin the trash mailbox is pretty useless with mail
clients like Evolution and Outlook, I still can't believe this
functionality isn't intergrated into dovecot since it doesn't even
influence the operation of other mail clients that do support this option
theirselfs (even when turned on, the plugin detects this and doesn't break
the client's functionality).

I have modified the plugin to run without errorsin 1.2.4, when using a
mail client which doesn't support this feature in the client itself,
(according to my debug and the mail-log plugin output) everything works,
but the mails are deleted as expected but not visible in the Trash box, it
looks like they where copied to /dev/null :P (even though the log output
makes me think otherwise).

Log output:
Sep 09 20:21:09 IMAP(xxx at xxx.xxx): Info: opening Trash succeeded
Sep 09 20:21:09 IMAP(xxx at xxx.xxx): Info: from INBOX to Trash, previous
action from (null)
Sep 09 20:21:09 IMAP(xxx at xxx.xxx): Info: copy: uid=11, dest=Trash,
msgid=<7706BCE6-6882-473C-B7F3-62AE3F75F632 at xxx.xxx>, size=1718
Sep 09 20:21:09 IMAP(xxx at xxx.xxx): Info: copying to Trash succeeded
Sep 09 20:21:09 IMAP(xxx at xxx.xxx): Info: delete: uid=11,
msgid=<7706BCE6-6882-473C-B7F3-62AE3F75F632 at xxx.xxx>

The clients I used to test: Evolution and Outlook (they both don't support
this feature from the client) and the mail client on an iPhone (which does
support this feature, the plugin detects that the client already copied the
mail to the Trash box and skips it).

I'm really stuck here :( no errors, the logs tell me everything went fine,
but it didn't.
The source is attached, any help is greatly appreciated!

Gr,
Lex Brugman