[Dovecot] high imap load on large folders

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Sep 9 23:37:45 EEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-07 at 10:29 +0200, Ingo Thierack wrote:
> What i now see, is, on large folder( 58000 messages and more) the load
> on the imap-process
> is very high, and slowdown the transferprocess.
> Is there something, I can do. Whats cause the high load ind the
> imap-process.

Is it actually the user CPU load or system CPU load? I'd think most of
the time is spent on moving the new message to cur/ directory where
there are the 58k messages.

> mail_nfs_storage: yes

Disable this during the sync, it'll add delays. And if you don't have
more than one NFS client accessing the same mailbox at the same time,
you don't need it anyway.

Also see if maildir_very_dirty_syncs=yes helps.

> strace output

strace -tt would have been better, it would have shown timestamps then
too. But it didn't look like it did anything unexpected.