[Dovecot] high imap load on large folders

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Sep 11 00:51:08 EEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 23:19 +0200, Ingo Thierack wrote:
> the two patches are made it.
>
> the imap process is now around 60-70%.
>
> And now are transfered around 8 -10 messages per second.

The next speedup would be to use some other method that uses MULTIAPPEND
IMAP extension. That makes Dovecot do even less work. But unfortunately
I'm not aware of any clients or sync tools that actually use it.

Oh and I guess you could also manually create multiple mailboxes and
copy e.g. first 10k messages to box1, next 20k to box2, etc. and finally
copy all of them into the same box.

Also Dovecot v2.0's upcoming multi-dbox file format will work very
nicely with huge mailboxes. It can save about 1500-1800 msgs/sec at
least up to 100k messages, probably up to a lot more.