[Dovecot] Question about the pop3 feature "leave messages on server for a certain period of time"

Leonardo Rodrigues leolistas at solutti.com.br
Fri Sep 11 23:59:46 EEST 2009

Δημήτριος Καραπιπέρης escreveu:

> Hi
> I can clearly understand this, but what if we have two MUAs with
> different time period settings
> on the same account , 10 days the first and 20 days the second.
> The first when it will be connected on the 10th day it will delete on
> server all messages, so the second will not get anything at all
> Correct?

    IMHO, the 'leave messages on server' is a completly fucked up and
stupid way of trying to do something that IMAP4 does very well,
intelligently and RFC-based.

    If you need to use different MUAs to check the same account, you
really should consider using IMAP4. You'll have message flagging stored
on server (read messages, new messages, replied ones) ... you can even
configure your MUA to store sent messages on a IMAP4 folder and see
those sent messages from MUA1 when you access the mailbox on MUA2 !!!

--

	Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
	Leonardo Rodrigues

	gertrudes at solutti.com.br