[Dovecot] Problems getting Dovecot to work.

Mark Gillespie dovecot at markgillespie.co.uk
Sat Sep 12 16:06:31 EEST 2009

Hi, having a nightmare trying to get dovecot working on my SheevaPlug
(flash based ARM embedded device). I need to use virtual users, and I need
to store all the mail on an external USB HDD (not in home directories
which live in the limited flash space). However I can't even log in via
telnet. I've followed the Wiki troubleshooting tips, and still no further
forward.

logging via telnet, I get: "user sheeva BAD Error in IMAP command received
by server."
the logs show: ubuntu dovecot: User sheeva is missing UID (see mail_uid
setting)

What do I need to do?  I know basic Linux stuff, but I wouldn't call
myself an expert, so please no tech talks!!!