[Dovecot] fchown failed

LEVAI Daniel leva at ecentrum.hu
Mon Sep 14 10:45:06 EEST 2009

On Monday 14 September 2009 09.36.45 Frank Bonnet wrote:
> Hello
>

> I occasionally get the following error in dovecot log
> I've replaced the username by xxxxxxx
>
> /user is the user's home directories place, does this means
> it must be owned by the "mail" group ?
>

> Sep 14 09:20:48 IMAP(xxxxxxx): Error:
> fchown(/user/xxxxxxx/.imap/INBOX/dovecot.index.tmp, -1, 8(mail)) failed:
> Operation not permitted (egid=3420(math), group based on /var/mail/xxxxxxx)

v1.2.0 2009-07-01 Timo Sirainen

	* When creating files or directories to mailboxes, Dovecot now uses
	  the mailbox directory's permissions and GID for them. Previous
	  versions simply used 0600 mode always. For backwards compatibility
	  dovecot-shared file's permissions still override these with Maildir.

		/ http://dovecot.org/doc/NEWS-1.2 /

Also, searching for similar errors in the list archives yields very useful
informations.

Daniel

--
LÉVAI Dániel