[Dovecot] Disconnected: Too many invalid IMAP commands

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Mon Sep 21 18:33:19 EEST 2009

Quoting Charles Marcus <CMarcus at Media-Brokers.com>:

> That said, the biggest reason I see for upgrading often, especially for
> things like dovecot, is to take advantage of the performance
> improvements and new capabilities/options.

I've not seen to many lately, but maybe that is due to differences in
say mbox versus maildir storage we use?

In fact, there were a couple times when performance got worse after an
upgrade, though it was usually restored a release or two later...

I've upgraded only for bug-fixes, security-fixes, or because I needed
a new feature in a new release...

On the other hand, dovecot was so fast compared to our old wu-imap server
that I don't really care if it gets faster or not!  The switch to
dovecot was so great anything else since then is just gravy...

> Of course, eventually I'm sure dovecot will hit a wall where performance
> improvements will be negligible, but for now, the difference between the
> 1.0.x version and 1.2.x is so great that anyone who refuses to upgrade
> is simply missing out.

Again, this might be storage related, or something...  Don't assume it
applies to everyone.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

This message is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind,
either expressed or implied.  Use this message at your own risk.