[Dovecot] shared/public mailbox doesn't exist

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Tue Sep 22 18:50:24 EEST 2009

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Sep 22, 2009, at 5:55 PM, Eric Shubert wrote:
>
>>> That's because "shared" is a namespace prefix and not a folder. There
>>> shouldn't be any reason to subscribe to it. But, anyway, Dovecot v1.2
>>> allows you to subscribe to it anyway.
>>
>> Thanks Timo.
>>
>> Looks like it'll be time for me to upgrade soon so I can have fully
>> supported shared mailboxes.
>
> I've never understood why people so desperately want to try to subscribe
> to the shared namespace prefix. I only added that feature because so
> many people kept asking about it. Do you have a reason why you want to
> do it?

Not a good reason, but I think that's only because I planned to put
subfolders in the namespace. I can think of 2 reasons why people might
want to do this though.

First, if they only have one folder that they want to share in the
namespace, why would/should they have to create a folder under the
namespace? Why not simply treat the namespace as a folder and put the
mail in there? It's simpler that way.

The second reason is because it appears to be possible to subscribe to
the namespace in their client program, at least until they actually try
to subscribe to it. TBird does a much better presentation than other
IMAP clients in this regard, as it won't let you select the namespace
for subscription (with Dovecot 1.0). Outlook and Squirrelmail, on the
other hand, allow you to select the namespace and attempt to subscribe
to it. This leads users to believe that they should be able to subscribe
to the namespace, whether the server allows it or not. I think this is
probably a more significant reason than the first one.

>> Is v1.2.5 considered stable/production grade?
>
> Sure.

Great. I'll be upgrading when I get a chance. I haven't checked the wiki
about upgrading yet. As long as I'm here though I'll shamefully ask, are
there any gotchas upgrading from 1.0 to 1.2? A link to a relevant web
page will more than suffice. Thanks.

--
-Eric 'shubes'