[Dovecot] OT: IMAP folder aliases

Fri Sep 25 18:47:30 EEST 2009

On 9/25/2009, Stefan Förster (cite+dovecot-users at incertum.net) wrote:
>> Has anyone seen an approach or a solution that solves the problem from a users
>> point of view? A server side alias list that maps to a server standard?

> Tried that, didn't work out that great (users got confused by 12
> dozillion "sent" folders).

Thats not how I read the OPs question...

He wants to be able to configure some aliases server side so that if
someone is using different clients that expect, for example, different
folder names for the 'Sent' folder, it would map the expected name to a
single folder on the server...

For example...

$user accesses their imap account using Outlook at work and ThunderBird
at home.

Outlook expects to use a 'Sent Items' folder, Thuderbird expects a
'Sent' folder.

The OP wants to be able to define the folder to be used on the server as
'Sent', and map any *requests* for a 'Sent Items' folder to the 'Sent'
folder...

So, each Client sees *only* what it expects, but only one folder on the
server is used - meaning, Outlook doesn't now have *both* a 'Sent* *and*
a 'Sent Items', it only has 'Sent Items', but this displays what is in
the 'Sent' folder on the server.

I like the idea, but don't know how feasible it is...