[Dovecot] Apparent corruption of dovecot.uidlist

AnneWilson anne at lydgate.org
Fri Sep 25 18:49:34 EEST 2009

I have been using Dovecot for about three years, and am currently using
version 1.0.7 under CentOS.  One of my users can no longer access his Inbox,
although he can read mail in other folders.  After a fair bit of log-viewing
and looking for clues it suddenly began to make a sort of sense.  The error
message in the logs is

Error: IMAP(david):
unlink(/home/david/Maildir/cur/cur:2,ST) failed: Is a directory

Eventually I came to /home/david/Maildir/dovecot-uidlist and compared it with
my own.  The second line in the problem account file is 'cur:2,ST.

I backed up the file, then deleted that line.  Sure enough, I could then open
the messages.  Unfortunately, when I close KMail I saw the line 'cur:2,ST'
added to the end of dovecot-uidlist, and of course I'm back with the error.

Can someone please explain to me what is causing this, and how I can correct
it?  Thanks

Anne