[Dovecot] OT: IMAP folder aliases

Patrick Ben Koetter p at state-of-mind.de
Sat Sep 26 00:38:20 EEST 2009

* Timo Sirainen <dovecot at dovecot.org>:
> On Sep 25, 2009, at 7:49 PM, Eric Shubert wrote:
>
> >Timo Sirainen wrote:
> >>Symlinks maybe? Or something similar done internally. The main
> >>problem would anyway be LIST command, should it show all of them
> >>or somehow try to figure out which one to show?
> >
> >Do the clients identify which program they are?
>
> No. And one of the first commands they typically do is LIST. So
> there are no good ways to solve this.

I suspected that.

Would it be possible to identify a client by the folders it tries to subscribe
to?

> Although I haven't really seen much problems myself. Linux clients
> allow changing what mailboxes they use, so I just configure them to
> use the same as Apple Mail..

Most clients, independent of the OS, allow to change folder settings, but that
requires user interaction.

User interaction or server side configuration is fine if it takes place in a
company, but its not feasible in an ISP environment.

p at rick