[Dovecot] OT: IMAP folder aliases

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Sep 26 11:40:21 EEST 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 07:55:41PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Sep 25, 2009, at 7:49 PM, Eric Shubert wrote:
>
>> Timo Sirainen wrote:
>>> Symlinks maybe? Or something similar done internally. The main
>>> problem would anyway be LIST command, should it show all of them or
>>> somehow try to figure out which one to show?
>>
>> Do the clients identify which program they are?
>
> No. And one of the first commands they typically do is LIST. So there
> are no good ways to solve this.
>
> Although I haven't really seen much problems myself. Linux clients allow
> changing what mailboxes they use, so I just configure them to use the
> same as Apple Mail..

Given than you seem to bless Apple Mail folder structures it makes it
a good candidate to try to push as a standard for others to
copy. Maybe there could be example setups/configs shipped with dovecot
that maps other naming conventions to Apple's? In that way dovecot
would start to inforce the use of a standard which in the long term
could become a real standard.

If Apple's structure are not the best to go with, then we could use
some other naming convention, I just trust that Timo's choice is not a
bad one. ;)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net