[Dovecot] OT: IMAP folder aliases

Rob Middleton robm-dovecot at centenary.org.au
Sat Sep 26 11:59:42 EEST 2009

On 26/09/2009 6:40 PM, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 07:55:41PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:

>>> Do the clients identify which program they are?
>>>
>> No. And one of the first commands they typically do is LIST. So there
>> are no good ways to solve this.
>>
>> Although I haven't really seen much problems myself. Linux clients allow
>> changing what mailboxes they use, so I just configure them to use the
>> same as Apple Mail..
>>
> Given than you seem to bless Apple Mail folder structures it makes it
> a good candidate to try to push as a standard for others to
> copy. Maybe there could be example setups/configs shipped with dovecot
> that maps other naming conventions to Apple's? In that way dovecot
> would start to inforce the use of a standard which in the long term
> could become a real standard.
>
> If Apple's structure are not the best to go with, then we could use
> some other naming convention, I just trust that Timo's choice is not a
> bad one. ;)

I personally dislike Apple Mail's special folder naming from a
'supporting users' viewpoint. By default it uses an underlying IMAP
mailbox of "Sent Items" while displaying the name "Sent" in the GUI. It
confuses folk that use both Apple Mail (Sent=Sent Items) and Thunderbird
(Sent=Sent) to access their email account; because it makes little sense
to the user it needs intervention by IT support to explain/fix (or they
just suffer with two sent folders).

That said, if Apple Mail in 10.6 already supports XLIST this oddity
could potentially be fixed from the IMAP server side (ref my email 80
minutes ago).
& Thunderbird will have XLIST from v3 when released soon.

(Doesn't Apple use dovecot on Mac OS X 10.6 server now? I'm surprised we
haven't seen an XLIST plugin or patch to make the Mac-mail-client to
Mac-mail-server universe all work together well. However it is early
days for that extension.)

Cheers,
Rob Middleton.