[Dovecot] OT: IMAP folder aliases

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Sep 26 15:04:44 EEST 2009

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 12:33:21PM +0200, Robert Schetterer wrote:
> Axel Thimm schrieb:
> > Given than you seem to bless Apple Mail folder structures it makes it
> > a good candidate to try to push as a standard for others to
> > copy. Maybe there could be example setups/configs shipped with dovecot
> > that maps other naming conventions to Apple's? In that way dovecot
> > would start to inforce the use of a standard which in the long term
> > could become a real standard.
> >
> > If Apple's structure are not the best to go with, then we could use
> > some other naming convention, I just trust that Timo's choice is not a
> > bad one. ;)
>
> sorry apple mail , has a long history of bugs with imap ( special it
> acted not very good with courier an other namespaces )
> and there are no version for linux and windows, so i personally dont like it

Well, I wasn't advocating for using the client or any software part of
Apple Mail, just the folder structure it uses in case it is
universally useful and acceptable.

In any case any standard be it derived from Apple Mail, something
else, or maybe a new dovecot standard would be better than the current
zoo of setups.

And having dovecot implement that standard in default config files
with mappings for the most common imap clients will certainly make it
a widely used standard in the long term.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net